The Bunker Hill Monument Association was
incorporated in 1823 for the purpose of purchasing the
battlegrounds of June 17, 1775 and constructing on the
site a suitable memorial.
Association appointed a Board of Artists to recommend a
form for the monument. The Board, which included
Daniel Webster, Gilbert Stuart and Loammi Baldwin, a noted
engineer, is credited with being the monument's designer.
Construction, under the direction of
architect Solomon Willard, began in 1827, but work was
frequently halted as available funds were depleted.
To bring the project to completion the Association in 1838
began to sell off the ten acres of the battlefield as
house lots, eventually preserving only the summit of
Breed's Hill as the monument grounds. On June 17,
1843, with Daniel Webster as orator, the completed
monument was dedicated.
Hill Monument Association maintained the monument and
grounds until 1919 when it was turned over to the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In 1976 the Bunker
Hill Monument was transferred to the National Park Service
and became a unit of Boston National Historical Park.
The Bunker Hill Monument, made entirely of
granite taken from a quarry in Quincy, MA, stands 221 feet
tall and has 294 steps.
Hours: Visitor lodge
and exhibits open daily, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., except on
Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. The monument
is open to climb from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. For
more information please call (617)242-5641. Admission:
information about the Bunker Hill Monument, visit the
National Historical Park website.
"Bunker Hill," Boston National